Hurricane Sandy's wrath will be felt across Long Island Monday and many businesses and schools are closed in advance of her expected wind damage and torrential rain.
- Port Washington Public Schools, already having cancelled all classes and activities Monday, has announced there will be no school on Tuesday as well. Go to the district's website for further details.
- In the Town of North Hempstead, all operations remain open. Meanwhile, all recreational activities in the Town have been suspended. The offices of the Receiver of Taxes and the Town Clerk will be open only for emergency situations.
- The Long Island Rail Road, along with the rest of the MTA system, is closed until further notice. There are no trains to or from nearby Hicksville and Bethpage stations.
- NICE bus (Nassau Inter-County Express) is suspended through Tuesday.
- Many retail stores will not open or will close early. Most supermarkets say they will remain open as long as possible. Much of this will depend on whether electrical power is available.
- Monday morning, Long Island Power Authority said Port Washington 865 were without power.
Port Washington Patch will be operating throughout the storm and beyond providing regular updates. Please upload or send us your photos, including pictures taken from your front door, and keep us posted about news in your neighborhood or business. Email Local Editor Adina Genn at email@example.com.