To help escape the high temperatures, try these local cooling sites in Port Washington.
These cooling sites include:
- Supermarkets, including ,, and
The Nassau County Department of Health also offers the following information for residents to protect themselves and others during high temperatures:
- Check on relatives and friends, especially the elderly.
- Increase time spent in an air-conditioned environment.
- Increase non-alcoholic fluid intake.
- Take cool baths.
- Individuals especially at risk, such as the elderly or those with chronic illnesses should refrain from physical activity, avoid being alone, keep their sleeping area well ventilated, and avoid falling asleep in a hot room.
- Eat light, but nutritious foods.
- Avoid the sun at the hottest times of the day.
- Wear a hat and light, loose-fitting clothing.
Elderly people, infants, and many individuals with chronic medical conditions are at high risk for heat-related problems and should be very cautious about exposure.
If any person experiences heat stroke or exhaustion, get medical help immediately.
Symptoms of heat-related illnesses may include: headache, dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, and low pulse rate. Other symptoms may include cold pale and clammy skin or hot, flushed dry skin.
For more information, please contact the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management at(516) 573-0636