A broken pipe flooded a Rockville Centre assisted living facility, caused "extensive damage," and prompted the evacuation of 132 seniors Wednesday morning.
Maple Pointe Assisted Living announced that an early morning break in a boiler valve caused the "building-wide flooding" that prompted the early-morning evacuation.
The break happened at about 4 a.m. in an upper floor of the five-story building on Maple Avenue, flooding the building and forcing staff to shut down the furnace.
Concern over "severe electrical danger" prompted the 6 a.m. evacuation of the building, according to Rockville Centre Police Commissioner Charles Gennario. The evacuation was not because of the "concern over heavy snow on the roof" like earlier speculation claimed, Chelsea Living Center wrote on their Facebook page.
None of the residents were injured during the evacuation, they wrote.
"Our first concern is for the health and safety of our residents and staff," said Roger Bernier, President and Chief Operating Officer of Chelsea Senior Living, which owns Maple Pointe.
"It appears no one was hurt and we are very thankful for that," he said.
"The evacuation went extremely well and we are still providing assistance in terms of medical services...providing them shelter and medical attention," said Gennario, adding Rockville Centre's Village Emergency Management procedures were "exceptionally well executed."
Residents were sent to nearby Sandel Senior Center or picked up by family members. Another nearby senior center has also offered to house displaced seniors while the problem is repaired, they announced. Red Cross was notified for assistance at Sandel, Gennario said.
Maple Pointe said they didn't know how long it would take for the problem to be completely solved or when seniors would be able to move back into the facility. Maintenance staff said they hoped to have the valve fixed sometime Wednesday.
"It looks like the damage is more extensive than hoped," said Gennario.
Tom Kranz, a spokesman for Chelsea Senior Living, told Newsday it could take a few days to allow residents back in the building.