Update (7 p.m.):
LIRR officials told Newsday a westbound train struck and killed a person on the tracks at the west end of the station at around 3 p.m. The crew of that train initially thought it had struck debris before the body was discovered 30 minutes later.
The investigation at Babylon Station has concluded, but the delays have continued on the Babylon and Montauk Branches.
Update (6:20 p.m.):
According to the Long Island Railroad, Montauk and Babylon Branch customers should expect some canceled/combined trains, delays and crowding due to a police investigation of a fatality at Babylon Station. Montauk and Babylon Branch customers may wish to consider using alternate branches. As a result of the investigation, some trains cannot leave the Babylon Yard. This will impact other branches. Customers should allow extra travel time and anticipate delays and possible cancellations.
Update (4:30 p.m.):
The LIRR has confirmed the investigation concerns a fatality at the Babylon Station, according to an email alert sent out by the MTA.
The message reads, "Babylon Branch customers should expect some canceled/combined trains, delays and crowding due to a police investigation of a fatality at Babylon Station. Babylon Branch customers may wish to consider usingalternate branches. Lynbrook customers should utilize Long Beach branchtrains."
The Long Island Railroad has temporarily suspended service on the Babylon Branch because of an investigation at the Babylon Station, the LIRR reported on its website.
As of 4:05 p.m. Monday:
• The 3:06 p.m. train from Babylon due to Penn Station at 4:22 p.m. is operating 13 minutes late because of an earlier police investigation. This train will be canceled in Jamaica and customers will be accommodated by the next westbound train.
• The 3:42 p.m. train from Babylon due into Penn Station at 4:55 p.m. is being held at the Babylon station.
• The 4:04 p.m. train from Penn Station due into Babylon at 5:05 p.m. is canceled because of congestion caused the police investigation in Babylon. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:12 p.m. train from Penn due into Massapequa Park at 5:10 p.m. and will make all combined stops to Babylon.
• The 2:36 p.m. train from Penn due into Babylon at 3:51 p.m., is being held in Lindenhurst Station because of congestion caused by the police investigation in Babylon.
• The 3:03 p.m. train from Jamaica due into Patchogue at 4:10 p.m., is being held in Hicksville Station because of congestion caused by the police investigation in Babylon.
This is a breaking news story and Patch will update when more details become available.