1. No school today for students.
2. The Town of North Hempstead fireworks tribute is Saturday, May 26, 2012, at in Port Washington. The event kicks off at 6 p.m., with the United States Marine Corps Color Guard, the Nassau County Police Pipe Band, the Volunteers of America firing detail, and local veterans’ organizations who will honor the fallen from the nation’s armed forces. Live entertainment will feature Beginnings, a tribute to the music of the band Chicago, and Early Elton, a tribute to the music of Elton John. The fireworks are slated for about 9 p.m.
3. Getting to the fireworks: All vehicles entering the park will be charged a $5 parking fee. If the parking lots fill up, town-operated buses will be available free of charge to shuttle concert-goers to the park.
4. The Port Washington Memorial Day Parade and ceremony is Monday at 10 a.m. It starts on Port Washington Blvd. and continues down Main Street to the John Philip Sousa Memorial Bandshell in Sunset Park.
5. While waiting for the parade to start, look for members of the Chamber of Commerce who will be giving away flags to people along the parade route.