NorthShoreAlert, the mass communication system for the peninsula, issued this post-Sandy update on Friday at 12:22 p.m.
- LIPA reports that they are targeting next weekend for major power restoration; and longer for “remote” areas. They still believe the substations will be restored today. Since some smaller sections of the peninsula have been re-energized, it is unclear if they are being conservative or not in their estimates. They report they are prioritizing on getting gas stations running.
- The Recovery Community Center at Schreiber High School will be closing early at 10pm tonight. It has been serving hot meals, is a place to recharge, and activities for adults and children. All are welcome.
- Trains are running from Port Washington hourly when we last checked this morning.
- If you have downed power lines on your property, please report it to LIPA. Additionally, in the coming days the Port Washington Manhasset Office of emergency Management, with assistance from your villages, will be asking you to let us know as well. If you can get to the web, the instructions are on PWMOEM.org. We will be repeating them by email and voice in coming days.
- There is a possibility that the schools will reopen on Monday. Please note this is just a possibility at this point in time.
Sign up for alerts at NorthShoreAlert.org.