Even before the Pride in Port parade got underway, Schreiber High School’s cafeteria was buzzing as early as 9 a.m., with the Athletic Hall of Fame 2012 induction ceremonies.
“This year's inductees were representative of athletic excellence spanning four decades,” said Port Washington Public Schools’ Athletic Director Stephanie Joannon.
The honorees included:
- Corey Bodner, class of 1994, an outstanding athlete who played five different sports – varsity tennis, wrestling, football, winter track and spring track
- Laruen Bracchi, class of 1998, captain and all-star athlete in soccer, basketball and lacrosse
- Christin Bracken Archer, class of 1997, a four-sport athlete who played field hockey, indoor track, basketball and lacrosse
- Caitlin Bracken Gould, class of 2001, a standout athlete in soccer, basketball and lacrosse
- Nina Mandel Atkinson, class of 1999, who lettered in tennis, indoor track, basketball and lacrosse
- Wolfgang Woischke, class of 1966, outstanding soccer player and football player.
“This was an impressive group of athletes who were thrilled to be back at Schreiber sharing their experiences,” Joannon noted. “We all got to re-live part of the greatness of when they played. It was such a fun day for all."
Standing before family and friends, the honorees thanked not only their coaches, but also parents, for never missing games, and driving them to all those practices.
After the breakfast, the inductees were escorted to vehicles for the Pride in Port parade, enjoyed lunch at Schreiber's cafeteria, and then escorted to the the football field for the Vikings' homecoming game, and honored during at half time during the Hall of Fame ceremony.
The athletes were selected from a pool of nominees, which were evaluated by the Hall of Fame Committee, Joannon said. To learn more about Schreiber's Athletic Hall of Fame, or to nominate future inductees, visit the website of the school's Athletic department.