With thousads of customers in North Hempstead still without power, caution is the byword. For those without electricity, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these tips:
- Food Safety After a Power Outage, American Red Cross
Provides tips on safely storing your food and a chart to help you determine if your food is still safe.
- Keeping Food Safe in an Emergency, United States Department of Agriculture
- Fact sheet and FAQs on food and water safety including guidance on when to discard perishable foods.
- Being Prepared, American Red Cross
- Comprehensive site on preparing for emergencies including power outages.
- Food Safety Office, CDC
- Comprehensive food safety information.