.

Nerf Footballs Only For Weber Students at Recess

School officials attempt to lessen chance of schoolyard injuries.

Weber Middle School. (Credit: Patch)
Weber Middle School. (Credit: Patch)
An increase in the amount of recess injuries caused by flying footballs at Weber Middle School has prompted school officials to slightly modify schoolyard rules in the name of safety.

The use of regular footballs or lacrosse balls at recess has been disallowed, according to a school official. However, the school has OK'd the use of Nerf footballs and tennis balls.

The decision was made earlier this week by Weber administrators after errant pigskin passes caused a rash of injuries.

"What we've noticed is that we've had a lot of kids in the nurse's office because of being inadvertently hit," said Weber Assistant Principal Matthew Swinson to Patch on Oct. 4.

Nerf balls put students in the best situation to lessen or mitigate the chance of getting injured, according to Swinson. 

"We know kids are going to get injured ... but we have a responsibility to lessen injuries," said Swinson.

A recess rule change announcement was made to Weber students over the public address system at the end of the school day Wednesday, according to a Weber student. 

Most common playground games and sports equipment such as soccer balls or kickballs are still permitted — but some activities are frowned upon.

Swinson said Weber staff discourages students from attempting cartwheels in the schoolyard without the supervision of a physical education teacher, and from playing tag at recess.

"Sometimes when they participate in tag they use the opportunity to give an extra push," said Swinson.
PortSportParent October 11, 2013 at 05:27 PM
I think I heard it just before Andrea Mitchell choked on her own bile on MSNBC while being forced to report on Obama ordering his administration to take no action in paying the death gratuity to our military killed in action even though his administration knew about it since September 27.
PortSportParent October 11, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Actually just in the way of some education on current events for those less informed Taxpayers watching the liberal driveby media, on September 24, 2013 before the slimdown both the house and senate passed S. 1541: the Military Pay Protection Act of 2013 which specifically funded the death gratuity. The only way this did not get paid is because the administration directed that it not be paid to punish Americans for the shutdown (consistent with the actions of a spiteful childish thug style Chicago politician more concerned with playing politics than leading a country). However assuming arguendo that someone actually believed that this was not appropriated in contravention to the law passed, an executive order could have easily remedied the situation doubly. I think most American's believe it is incumbent upon the President as "commander in chief" to exhibit leadership, support our troops and take care of those fallen in battle. None was. This is a national disgrace even for a president who has Putin and Assad's bootmarks on his face, who lied to the American people to claim Bengazi was not a terrorist attack and sent out minions to blame it on an obscure video and has failed to provide any answers as to where he was, what or he knew and what he did (a common theme) while three Americans were left to die. There is no excuse. While the Tea Party or republicans are responsible for many things, they bear little responsibility in this national disgrace; it is our "esteemed" president, who chooses to act as the President of the Democratic Party rather than all Americans, who solely bears the weight of this.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »